Sunday, March 22, 2009

SUNnyDAY

Today is Sunday, a beautiful one at that. I was just reflecting on some things I've learned either through experience or from what people have told me along the way. Thanks for the advice and tips, I've truly taken them to heart. Here's some of the things I've learned about working in the industry:
  • set up your work station so that you work fast and efficiently
  • work hard, fast and neat
  • always fold your rags neatly on the table
  • write down your mistakes and failures so that you learn from them
  • write down your successes so you remember how you did it correctly
  • stand up straight
  • don't waste
  • ask questions if you don't know
  • don't be shy - you must be assertive to work in this environment
  • speak up!
  • take care of your hands, they are your life
  • sometimes things don't always have to be perfect, sometimes it's part of it's charm
  • if there's an imperfection, I call it 'rustic'
  • help others
  • maintain consistency
  • practice, practice, practice
  • you don't really understand something until you have done it 100 times
  • don't over mix
  • after your shift, get your chef whites for your next shift ready so that you are prepared
  • put things back from where you found it
  • no guts, no glory
  • the days are long and the hours are never ending
  • network and do not burn your bridges
  • get out of the way
  • sacrifice
  • taste it
  • have fun, that's what it's all about
So that's just some of the things I've learned. I'll update the list along the way but for now I'm going to go and enjoy my Sunny Sunday.


ps: Here's a picture of the Pastry team I work with. They are all different characters and all very talented. I am lucky to work with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment